Princess of Jozi

"The most stylish thing you can own is individuality"

Wednesday 11 January 2017

2017…


I shot these quick images sometime last year (before I cut my hair obvs.) and I completely forgot to use them except for the 2 I posted on Instagram. I’m wearing a skirt from local brand Dear Makena Apparel which is run by the lovely Karen and houses the quaintest selection of handmade cotton skirts. Find them on Instagram here.


2016 had been a real challenge of a year. Not only was it one giant dumpster fire for the entire planet, but I also experienced some real challenges in my personal life. I generally don't really do resolutions because I believe I am always a work in progress and there is always room to learn and evolve at any point in time in the year. However, with everything that I went through; I don't think I've been taught as much as I have last year than in any other year. I thought it would be a nice way to begin my blogging year by sharing some of what I am taking with me into 2017 and beyond.
Don't be a hypocrite. This one is so important. If you don't like things being done to you (e.g. lying) then why would you do them to anyone else?


Self-care and self-love are tremendously important. No one is going to care for you as much as you should care for yourself. It's okay to be selfish sometimes and take care of your own needs. Try not to hurt anyone in the process but also don't over think especially if you are uncomfortable or hurting. Be unapologetic in your need to maintain your own sanity and contentment.
Don't let anyone make you feel like you are worthy of anything less than respect and don't let anyone make you feel inferior. We are all trying.


It is okay to ask for help but it's not okay to hold that help over someone if it is given. Remember that even the left hand should not know what the right hand gives.
Advise the ones you love but try to support them too if they don’t take your advice. You were obviously asked to weigh in because your opinion matters and that should be enough. They do know what they're doing most of the time and you will be so surprised at what they can achieve.


Leave old prejudices and thought processes behind. Be open to new things as long as they don't compromise your beliefs.
Spirituality is so significant. I know that some of you reading this perhaps do not follow any religion or maybe don’t believe in God but I just want to share what I personally experienced here. Waking up before dawn to pray has literally changed my life in ways I cannot even explain. Reflecting and unloading on the prayer mat has gotten me through the bad times and even helped to guide me through the good ones.


Do not allow people to get away with treating you badly because of their position in your life or relation to you. Relation is no excuse for garbage behaviour toward someone!
Respect people and their choices and their ability to make these choices. So simple but so important.
Don’t be afraid to love the things you love. It’s so difficult in the age of social media but try not to live for others. You only have to fit in with yourself.


Respect the things that people love and their beliefs too. For example, a celebrity death may mean nothing to you but it can mean something to someone and you will never know why. Your views and opinions aren't the only ones out there.
When people insult and disrespect you it says more about them than it does about you.


And finally, it begins with YOU! Don't become complacent because something does not affect you directly. (E.g. Donald Trump, I've seen so many just brush it off because they won't be the ones suffering through his ridiculous and dangerous ideas). Fact check that thing that you post first. Evaluate your ethics. Familiarize yourself with your preferences (we all have them) and asses them. THINK about racism, THINK about rape culture. Do not just brush it off or share that meme because likes. There is so much more I can say here but I’ll stop and just say once again, IT BEGINS WITH YOU!


I really hope that you all have a fantastic year. I want you to be happy, healthy and to never ever feel like you are alone.
I’d love to hear what you’ve learnt and what you will be taking with you into 2017. Pop a comment below or tweet me @LadyZaa
Until next time
Love and sparkles
Zaakira xox




No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from my readers... Please feel free to comment:)