Princess of Jozi

"The most stylish thing you can own is individuality"

Tuesday 27 September 2016

{BEAUTY} | Saving Water in Your Beauty Routine


Hi beauties! Water is an exceedingly precious resource that we sometimes tend to take for granted. The situation is becoming scarier by the day and so I decided to make some changes in my habits and routine so that I can lower my water consumption. Today I will be sharing these along with a few water saving tips for your beauty routine.

1      Time Yourself
On average it now takes me ±10 minutes to shower and wash my hair. I used to get really carried away belting out song after song and generally enjoying the water but not only is this a major waste, but it also isn’t very good for your skin. A good way to keep track is to make a killer playlist and shower within 3 songs. Just be careful with electronics in the bathroom.

2     Lower the Pressure
There really is no need for extremely high pressure in the shower. High pressure coupled with very hot water can also strip your skin of natural oils. If your body is sore from gym do a quick blast of high pressure when getting in and out and use lower pressure to wash up.


Wash Your Hair Every Other Day
It’s better and healthier for your hair and saves loads of water too. Better yet, skip the wash and get a blow-out. Most blow-dry bars don’t charge more than 200 Rands and you can try these tips to make it last all week!

4       Condition After Showering
I swear by this now! I give my hair a good wash in the shower and then feed it with leave in conditioner and oil afterwards. My favourite products are the Dove Dry Oil; which makes my hair so soft, shiny and generally delightful without weighing it down and pure Argan oil when my hair needs a little extra TLC. This method also assists in detangling. You can also apply conditioner to your hair before getting in the shower and washing it out with shampoo once in.


Turn Off the Tap
When lathering up, shampooing, shaving etc. please turn off the shower. Better yet, do your leg de-fuzzing out of the shower by shaving with a little water or using a hair removal cream. Veet is my favourite.

6       Keep Makeup Brushes Clean
Keep your makeup brushes clean by spraying them with a sanitizer like the Sephora Daily Brush Cleaner and make sure you give them a wash every 2 weeks (maybe weekly of you use them every day). Makeup brushes are a breeding ground for bacteria (gross!) and makeup build-up can be really difficult to loosen after a while which means you need more water to clean them.

7       Pre-Cleanse
Makeup removal is absolutely imperative. Do not ever ever sleep with makeup on! Use a facial wipe or coconut oil on your face before cleansing with water and your cleanser. It will loosen everything and ensure less abrasive scrubbing and water wastage.

      Use Only a Specific Amount of Water
This one may seem extreme but so is the water crisis. Estimate how much water you might need daily for cleansing, brushing your teeth, etc. (Basically, all the out of shower stuff). Fill up a Jerry Can or other storage with a little more than this amount and use only this. Even if you underestimate yourself and have to fill more the next day it is still better than a running tap.


 I hope this was even a little helpful! If we all make small changes and adjustments the result surely can’t be anything but positive.

If you have any tips and tricks for water saving in the beauty routine let me know by commenting or tweet me @LadyZaa

Until next time

Love and sparkles

Zaakira xox

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from my readers... Please feel free to comment:)